What is Homeshare ?
Homeshare brings together two people in a home for mutual benefit. In the majority of cases, it matches older people in their homes with young people, usually university students, for them to give each other company in an experience of mutual learning and of intergenerational solidarity. This movement works in the United States, France, Belgium, Germany and the United Kingdom, in Japan and in Australia, although there are programmes and similar initiatives in other countries. Programmes from different countries have their own specific models and features.
BENEFITS OF HOMESHARE
• Promotes an independent life and at the same time builds strong social bonds between generations and cultures
• Gives company and provides safety to older people, especially during the night
• Strengthen the social and family ties of older people
• Provides an affordable housing alternative for young people
• Promotes mutual support and solidarity
• Saves public spending on health and caregiving services for older people